Did you know that 17 trees make 1 ton of paper? So saving paper ultimately helps in saving trees. But do we really do our bit to save the green creatures in our environment? It would be easier by simply following 2 steps: Recycling and Using paper only if required.
Recycling is a small way for us to show to our world and community that we care. Recycling helps us give back to nature what we take from it. Did you know that up to 80% of waste generated in your workplace is recyclable paper? If not disposed correctly this paper is wasted and cannot be recycled. Proper segregation is the answer to ensuring this does not happen.
Ensure when you dispose waste paper you dispose it in the correct manner. This not only helps in keeping your environment clean and tidy but also reduces your carbon footprint, decreases pollution and also decreases the load on landfills.
Landfills are an increasingly pressing problem. Less and less land is available to deposit waste, but the volume of waste is forever increasing. As a result, segregating waste is not just of environmental importance, but of economic concern, too. Use the dedicated waste paper disposal units and increase the recovery of waste paper and reduce associated carbon emissions.
Use paper only if really required. Here’s how:
- Opt for electronic options for you telephone bills, credit cards and bank statements, invoices etc.
- Use the back of paper by making a notepad out of such papers which have empty backside.
- Go for free paper saving software like Printfriendly, PrintEco etc. These softwares makes it easier for you to remove unwanted content before printing your document. Also, before printing you could preview the document and optimize the font size to reduce the paper being used for printing.
- Adjust your printer settings such that it gets printed on both sides of the paper.
Update your email signature and include a note to remind your email receivers to not print your email unless it’s extremely necessary. In addition to preventing the email receiver from printing it, this signature might even bring in a realization to the email readers that paper wastage is an issue to be looked upon.
- School students need to use a lot of paper. So why not buy recycled paper for your school going kids.
- The least an organization can do to save paper is by emailing the payslips in PDF format to it’s employees, instead of printing them and distributing it.